Real Foods Market
First in Blanco, Texas Hearts
It has been brought to my attention that a lot of folks are unaware of the history of Real Foods in Blanco. Turns out, we were the “first” to introduce lots of cool stuff to our little town.
Here’s what we came up with (if you think of more, please let us know).
Real Foods, or our previous incarnation, Blanco Valley Health, was First in Blanco:
- Natural Food Store
- to sell lavender in what has become the “Lavender Capital of Texas”
- sell aromatherapy products
- have an organic coffee and juice bar
- sell organic, Fair Trade coffee, beans and brewed
- offer a retail outlet for local organic farmers and producers
- sell soy milk and tofu
- offer hand made soap
- sell bulk foods
- carry organic grass-fed meats
- offer fresh-off-the-boat wild Alaskan salmon
- full lines of nutrtional supplements
- serve “live food”
- play and sell World Music, along with promoting local musicians
- have the Health Inspector stay and eat lunch
- offer sidewalk cafe-style seating on the Blanco Square
And here’s a great one–
- We were the first store where you could buy every single ingredient in a Martha Stewart recipe!
We’re grateful, of course, to the trailblazers who came before us, notably Nan Hanus, whose Pecan Street Cafe was (I’m pretty sure about this) the first restaurant in Blanco NOT to serve either barbeque or chicken fried steak.